Short-time working collective agreement for the film industry in the Corona crisis
© nisara/ Adobe Stock
Share >

Short-time working collective agreement for the film industry in the Corona crisis

The collective agreement for employees in the film and television industry (TV FFS) dated 29 May 2018 does not provide for short-time working compensation. So clear, so unambiguous. The Corona pandemic has changed all that. The Bundesverband Schauspiel, ver.di and the producers‘ alliance have reached an agreement: There is now a short-time work collective agreement for the film industry.

Requirements for short-time work in the film industry

The requirments for short-time work compensation until „short-time work zero“ – i.e. a 100 percent loss of working hours – are:

  • Shut down production,
  • Postponement of production or
  • temporary suspension of production activities

Their arrangement must be for a fixed period, but may be extended, even several times.

Consequences of short-time working compensation

According to the current status, employees can apply for short-time work compensation amounting to 60 percent of their remuneration at the Federal Employment Agency. If the employees have children to look after, they receive 67 percent. We reported about a possible increase in one of our last blog posts– it has not yet been decided.

The introduction of the short-time work allowance can cause financial difficulties, especially for workers on low incomes. Costs such as rent, for example, will continue to be incurred in the end.

Collective agreements regulate subsidies

Tariff-bounded production companies are also obliged to pay a subsidy. This is regulated by the new short-time working collective agreement.

All film and television employees for whom the collective wage agreement of 29 May 2018 provides for a wage contribution will receive an increase to the full wage – but not exceeding the relevant income threshold.

For employees for whom the collective agreement of 29 May 2018 does not provide for a collective wage commitment, the basis of assessment for the subsidy to be paid by the production company is the individually agreed wage – but at most the relevant contribution assessment ceiling.

For actors and actresses, the assessment variable is the sum of the agreed daily shooting days for the calendar month – but no more than 90% of the monthly income threshold.

Social security contributions are paid by the Federal Employment Agency up to 80% of the net wage. The remaining 20 percent is shared between the film producer and the Federal Employment Agency.

Application of the short-time working collective agreement

The short-time working collective agreement only applies if the parties are either bound by the collective agreement or have incorporated the collective agreement into the agreement by individual agreement or by a works agreement. Parties not bound by a collective agreement must therefore conclude a supplementary agreement if they wish to apply the short-time working collective agreement.

The collective agreement is valid from 25 March 2020 and is limited in time until 31 December 2020 (termination at the earliest on 30 June 2020). If a production company has already agreed or ordered short-time working since March 1, 2020, it may (if bound by the collective agreement) apply the short-time working collective agreement by unilateral declaration if this leads to an improvement in the employee’s position.

Our assessment

The short-time working collective agreement for the film industry in the Corona crisis makes sense. It is to be welcomed that short-time work is now also established in the film industry. Although production companies will still have to pay, the collective agreement also gives them the chance to be relieved of paying 100 percent of the agreed remuneration.

However, our recommendation still applies, according to which employers should keep an eye on the personal consequences that the introduction of short-time work benefits may entail, especially for employees with low wages.

Keinen Blogbeitrag mehr verpassen - hier registrieren...

Ihr Kontakt
Grafenberger Allee 297
40237 Düsseldorf
Tel.: +49 211-90 86 70
E-Mail

Hohenzollernring 72
50672 Köln
Tel.: +49 221-97 31 32 0
E-Mail

Katzbergstr. 1a
40764 Langenfeld / Rhld.
Tel.: +49 2173-39 94 70
E-Mail